Friday, August 1, 2008

No Spend Month

Inspired by the family that blogs at smallnotebook.org we have decided to embark upon a no spend month ourselves. We've decided to make August our no spend month this year (although if we continue next year it may become a July or September thing as it's tough to not take advantage of some type of celebration for your anniversary). It may also become a more than once yearly deal depending on how it goes, I have high hopes though.
So here's the plan: for the next 31 days we have a budget of $250 dollars to spend on ourselves and the things we 'need' for the month. This includes gas, food, personal and household stuff, and entertainment. Not included will be the necessary bills as I'm sure our mortgage holder and utility company wouldn't be so understanding if we just decided not to pay them this month, and reimbursable business expenses, gifts, and hopefully this won't apply but emerengcy health expences.
I'm tired of having tons of stuff and tons of bills and wondering where all of the money goes each month. We've been living month to month, the past year or two and it is really hard. I'd love to see us put more towards savings as well as become less consumed by this consumeristic society we live in.
I'm hoping that through this experience we can learn to save, conserve, be more creative and plan things out a little better. I really don't anticipate much changing except I'm sure that J will ride the motorcycle to work more often or take the bus, and I'll probably stay home a bit more, which with the heat like it is now I don't think I'll mind all that much. It's also going to teach me how to use cash again which is something that I have become unaccustomed to anymore. So into the 'storage cabinet' go the debit/credit cards for the month and the adventure begins.
I am a little nervous as I'm not sure we can do it with the gas prices being so high, and us living so far from town, but I looked through our spending of the last few months and came up with the $250 number as one that isn't unrealistic considering what we have been spending on those things. I'm going to have to make J go to the farmers market for me instead of making the trip myself if we want fresh veggies at all but that's alright. It's going to be hard, but things, including experiences aren't worth half as much if you don't have to work for them; it'll be worth it I'm sure.

1 comment:

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

This is such a fascinating idea! I hope you blog a bit about how it goes so I can see it "in progress."

Thanks for blogging your big news (like your daughter's beginning to walk). It's been so cool to have a little window into your world on the other side of the world :o).