Friday, July 18, 2008

If you've got time

This is worth watching if you've got 40 minutes to kill and have a high speed line to watch it. It's totally heartbreaking but eye opening for sure. It seems no matter how many times you see this sort of thing it always hurts. It's unbelievable to see how we as humans are capable of conducting ourselves but it's also amazing to see the transformation of an individual when shown the truth.
I still stand firm in being a carnivore, because it's next to impossible to get the nutrition I need for myself and Kaylee when we can't have soy, most nuts and she has issues with beans to frequently. We bought a cow last month from J's aunt and uncle who had raised him on grass. It was a little bit difficult saying good bye to him as we had gone to visit him many times the past year but he will feed us for at least the rest of the year and he lived a very good life. It's amazing to me every time I go out to the grocery store to see what people walk out of there with. I'm going to try next year to make trips to the store only once a month or so for our grains (and maybe fish - trout can get old), as that's all we ever get there anyway. As soon as we can afford to join a CFA we'll do that for veggies, so that will cut that part of the trip out and reduce the journeys to the farmers markets. I realize that I am just one person (actually, I guess we are three as J and Kaylee are with me on this journey) and the reduction of our part is minimal, but I choose to believe that it does make a small difference. And maybe through my actions I can be an influence to others, I guess we'll see.

No comments: